Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analytical solution possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noway2

Electrical
Apr 15, 2005
US
For the past couple of days, when time allows, I have been attempting to analyze the behavior of a PLL implemented in software that is used in some of our products. The PLL is modeled after a linear PLL in that it multiplies the incomming (sine) wave with a reference sine wave, filters (?) the result and then uses the result to drive a numerically controlled oscilator that generates the reference wave.

In the filter portion, the software takes the error signal and multiplies it by a proportional constant (call it K1) and multiplies the running summation of the error signal(integration) by another constant (call it K2). The two products are then summed together. In other words, the error signal is passed through a PI compensator and the result is used to drive the NCO.

If this were a continuous time system, I would model the 'filter' block as K1 + K2/s. However, this is not a continous time system as it is working off of sampled data. What I have are the constants, K1 and K2 (discrete time), but what I would like is to find an analytical solution that can be modeled in a tool such as Matlab or Octave.

In this case, I am having trouble seeing how I would model the integrator in the PI block. If I recall correctly, a discrete time intergrator is modeled something like 2/T * (z+1)/(z-1), assuming the use of the bilinear transform. Would I simply model this as 2*K2*(z+1) / T*(z-1)? Similarly, since the NCO is typically modeled as an integrator, I assume I would use a similar model? The phase detector I am treating as a unity gain coeffecient in this application, but my question is how to handle the other components?

I am interested in modeling this system because of the results of some experiments I ran performing an iterative analysis with a PC program. I found that if I fed in a clean sinewave input that the system tracked cleanly, but if I introduced a small signal random number noise to input the signal to simulate real sampling, that output (from the PI block) would jitter significantly in frequency. Significantly in this case being about 10% of the nominal value.

My boss believed that the PLL worked perfectly on the basis that they had been shipping it for many years, but now I am challenging that assertion. I would like to either prove or disprove my assertion, hence my desire to model the system? If it turns out that the PLL is too noise sensitive, I would like to be able to work with a model to come up with a better solution.

To repeat, my question is, given the sample based constants and that the intergration runs as a sum, how would I model this block for a closed form solution, assuming one exists?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think as you have already seen is the discrete integrator is simply

Out(N) = K2(N)+Out(N-1)

You can convert this to the analog equivilent.

Because of the proportional gain, noise through the PI controller is not attenuated. This can be reduced by using a low pass filter with a high enough frequency that the stability of the PLL is not significantly affected.

Sreid, thank you for your insight. You are quite correct and I was certainly having the problem of not seeing the forrest for the trees. This morning, I had one of those proverbial hygiene epiphanies that I could apply the z^-1 is a delay to the equation, like you suggested and 'transform' it that way if need be. I also remembered that there are closed form representations of the infinite sums too. I guess it has been a while since I have studied the discrete time systems.

Yesterday I implemented a PLL in software and tried both a simple 1st order filter (I used a butterworth as it was easy to get Z coefficients with a software tool) and a PI compensator. As you correctly pointed out, the PI does not attenuate the noise and passes about 10x the phase detector ripple as compared to the filter. This results in jitter in the instaneous frequency reading. I think the original designers chose a PI because of the idea that the integrator would drive it towards zero steady state error, but I can't say for certain as the guy is long gone from here. Perhaps there are some other advantages that I am not aware of. One thing that occured to me is that the application works with 3 phase power and by summing the phase error (ea ~120hz ripple) that this should result in a much smaller overall ripple, which may be what they were counting on.

As an aside one thing I did discover that I thought was really interesting is that if I reduce the forcing function into the NCO (filter output) that the tracking ripple would be reduced and the instaneous frequnecy output would stabilize. This occured at the expense of a reduced lock in range of the PLL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back