Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANC 3 Water loads for float planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel

Mar 7, 2000
CA
I am trying to locate a copy of ANC3. This is the FAA basis for determining water loads on aircraft floats. Does anyone know where I can get a copy?

Nigel Waterhouse & Associates
Aeronautical Consulting Engineers

Transport Canada and F.A.A approval & certification of fixed and rotor wing aircraft alterations: Structures, Systems, Powerplants and electrical. FAA PMA, TC PDA.
n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gooday Nigel,
I have a copy of NAS807, "Specification - Twin Seaplane Floats", A specification that defines the minimum airworthiness requirements for twin seaplane floats suitable for use on commercial airplanes.

It is quite old and refers to ANC-5. It may have superseded ANC-3.
Would this be of assistance?
My copy is on microfiche, and due to time differences and my absence from work until Friday, I would be able to get you a copy next Monday (Australian EST).

Regards

Nigel:

MIL-A-8864 (Airplane Strength and Rigidity, Water and Handling Loads for Seaplanes) is another source for loads. Similar to NAS807.

FAR 23.533 is a source of pressure data for float design. And the pressure load diagrams of FAR 23 Appendix I appear to be from NAS807.

I have MIL-A-8864 and NAS807 on file and can email them if you need.

BTW - ANC-5 is the predecessor to MIL-HDBK-5.

Regards

Russ Royal
r.royal@aeromec.com

Russ, Nigel,

I have a copy of the original "Military Handbook No. 5" dated 01 June 1959 ... interestingly, it does not refer to ANC-5.

I also have a copy of ANC-18 "Design of Wood Aircraft Structures" dated June 1951 (with an introduction by the Wright brothers ... just kidding).

Nigel, apart from the historical interest why seek ANC-3? Even the DHC-2 Beaver (Type Approved 12 March 1948) did not use ANC-3 for certification.

JohnDAR

ANC-3 is the basis of the water loads in Part 25.

Nigel Waterhouse & Associates
Aeronautical Consulting Engineers

Transport Canada and F.A.A approval & certification of fixed and rotor wing aircraft alterations: Structures, Systems, Powerplants and electrical. FAA PMA, TC PDA.
n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back