Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anchor bolt calcs for skid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergio76

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2012
US
i have various equipments mounted on a skid, i have the total wgt and wind load, this skid is anchor concreate bolted, what are the basic formulas to determine the bolt size and quantities, after some searching i found those calcs are besed on ACI 318-08, is there any free site to download this code.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The anchorage will also need to be designed for seismic loading. Depending on your location, this could result in large forces and stringent anchorage requirements.

thanks guys, i am mechanical and i know the responsability of this kind of cals is from structural engineers, my question is just basic, assuming only wgt and wind load, i just want to create a basic spread sheet to have in hand, just for aproximation to the bolt qty and size, for the proposal stage...

The calcs are pretty involved. Concrete breakout, pullout, side face blowout, and steel strength can all be failure modes in tension. Concrete breakout, pryout, and steel strength can all be shear failure modes. You also have to consider the interaction between shear and tension. All of these calcs are dependent on concrete strength, edge distances, spacing of anchors, anchor grade, reinforcing in concrete, etc. I don't know how to easily estimate this. You could just base it on steel strength of anchors, but you MIGHT be WAY off.

On the other hand, Sergio, I do appreciate that someone realizes that the concrete is a very important portion of the AB design. Most skid designers just size the anchor bolts based on steel area and let the concrete fairy magically take care of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back