Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anchor bolt embedment close to edge

sam3990

Civil/Environmental
Jun 30, 2024
IN
Hi
In ACI the failure modes dont show any effect for anchor bolt embedment close to the concrete edge. How it ma impact the concrete breakout tensile/shear behavior. Can anyone please share any literature for the same.
Consider anchor bolt embedment 270mm and cover 40mm to the concrete edge.

anchor_embedment_close_to_edge_cjeomm.jpg

anchor_failure_modes_q9zcuc.jpg

Thanks & Regards
Sambhav

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the OP was talking about the edge to the bottom in their sketch (approximately concrete thickness minus embedment).

Personally, I have always just followed the ACI defined minimum concrete thickness requirements of the product in question and have never tried to justify a condition where this thickness was not achieved (though I have wondered what drove these minimum thicknesses).

Thanks jjl317, you are right, I totally missed the bottom edge callout in the picture.

I believe it is large ignored because it won't have an effect, or at least not one that lowers the capacity of the anchor in tension or shear. A place it does have an effect is if your anchor is also expected to resist compression (common in the utility industry), as this would be a similar failure to concrete breakout, but going down through the bottom, essentially your embedment would be the distance from the bottom head or nut of the anchor to the bottom of the concrete.

It has an effect if your anchor is under compression, in which case the back can punch out. The tension capacity of the anchor is independent of the thickness of the member for the scenario you have shown - it only depends on embedment depth (breakout) and the bearing area at the head of your anchor (for pullout). In the calculation for shear edge breakout there is a factor dependent on the thickness of the member, which influences your capacity.

Back