Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anchor bolt embedment depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Caution: In your drawing, (literally!) every dimension and description is called out as "varies" -

So, EVERY different "post" needs to be INDIVIDUALLY checked for:
applied load (horizontal and vertical loads);
concrete diameter;
rebar diameter, depth, nbr of bars, distance between bars;
baseplate (hole-hole) distances
bolt dia and bolt embedded length

I've found there was a trade off between "over-building" several concrete posts (the ones that were lightly loaded) and their matching baseplates; vs the speed and construction accuracy and cheapness of only having two or three (or better yet only one or two!) different types and patterns of rebar, concrete, forms, and baseplates.

Today's (illiterate ? - unschooled? untrained? un-controlled!) manual workers will make mistakes if you make things complicated.

The drawing I posted was just a generic starting point to give the overall concept of what I was doing. The dimensions and loads will vary from project to project and will need to be calculated for each. There is little axial load in the base plate. Most of the load is due to the moment caused by the wind.

What I am looking for are good references to use to do the calculations for the anchor bolt embedments. Any information on gusset plate design to the base plate would be helpful as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back