Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anchor bolts after fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZPE

Structural
Oct 23, 2006
US
I have a town home project that was burned down by an arson after it was fully framed. I haven't been to the site yet but I know that they are going to ask. They will want to know if the anchor bolts are going to be salvagable. What issues would you expect from bolts that have been in a residential fire? I wouldn't imagine that the heat was very great, or at least not hot enough to alter the steel properties. I would guess that the bolts would be okay

Any thoughts/help/ideas would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about deterioration of the concrete in which the bolts are embeded.

If they are A36 then they may be okay but if they are high stress bolts then I doubt it.

csd

Was this in St. Louis?? We have had a rash of these...

I would suspect they are OK unless the sill plates turned to ash. 2x4s do a pretty good job of insulating and most of the heat should have gone up

You could always re-drill and use a drop in or Epoxy. See Simpson or USP.

Good Luck

No, this was in Arizona. I might just have them use simpson Titan HD screws in lieu of the anchor bolts and then drill and epoxy holdown bolts for the strap holdowns (which I am sure will be useless) and then have an inspection/testing company come do a pull test on the holdown bolts that were in place at the time of the fire to make sure that they can take the uplift.

Thanks for your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back