Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anchor flange 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg211

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2006
KE
Hi all,i have a question bothering on anchor flange,though i read something on anchor flange in this forum but they are not exactly what i'm looking for,my question is as follow;
How do one determine if an anchor flange is required in a pipeline and how many do one need to fix in for example a pipeline of about 20km.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can estimate it by taking the last 800 to 1000 ft of your pipeline and finding how much axial thermal displacement it would have between installation and operating temperatures. If that amount of displacement can't be handled by a flexible piping configuration as the pipeline crosses into the station and that displacement is significant and is transmitted into equipment areas, then you might want to use an anchor flange to stop that movement from misaligning equipment or overstressing equip nozzles. Be aware, the concrete wall you need to embed those things is usually NOT small. Its much better to try to design a flexible piping configuration as you enter the station.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, its what we know for sure" - Mark Twain

The USBR design book for power penstocks (ASCE manual 79) contains the complete details on designing an anchor ring - bending of the ring, bearing loads, weld stresses etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back