Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anchor force 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gtoyo

Structural
Dec 4, 2002
TH
Could anyone advise me the way to desin or get information to calculate anchor forces from pipelines to support eg. piperack.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anchor forces are typically provided by the pipe stress engineer who does a flexibility analysis, usually by computer, on the system. Flexibility analysis considers weight, thermal, and occasional (i.e. wind, seismic) loads. It would be difficult to engineer a pipe rack without knowing what the reactions to these loads are. The question that has to be asked is why is there no pipe stress analysis being done.

pipesnpumps, steve1
Lot of thanks for your help.
pipesnpumps---could you tell me more detail of ITT-grinnel manual, how can i get this informatiion.
I'm not familiar with any pipe textbooks. What i want is to roughly estimate this anchor forces to my piperacks for preliminary design( not detail design). Any pipe engineers in my firm could not go deep into stress analysis at this preliminary design.
In case you have any idea for approximate forces of these will be very thanks.

-Gtoyo

Gtoyo

Are you looking for anchor forces or support reactions? Piping analysis is based on a pipe that runs from an anchor to an anchor with supports in between. It is relatively easy to determine the support reactions, not quite so easy to determine anchor forces.

If you are looking for preliminary support reactions then those can be calculated based on the tributary length of the pipe between supports. You will need to know the pipe diameters, schedules, insulation (if any)and contents (if carrying a liquid). Dead loads can be expressed in pounds per foot. Lateral (occassional) loads such as wind and seismic are based on the exposed area (diameter X length) for wind, and the mass of the pipe plus contents for seismic. Ask your pipe stress engineers if thermal loading will be a problem. Depending upon thermal conditions the pipe may or may not be laterally supported at each rack.

If you are looking for a reference book I suggest:

Piping and Pipe Support Systems
Design and Engineering
Smith & Van Laan
McGraw Hill
ISBN 0-07-058931-3

steve1
I'm looking for anchor forces come from thermal operation, I've some estimating formula for preliminary design( as I stated before not detail design) such as in case of equal-length-tanget-U-loop ;
Px = Kx . C . I / U2 (kg)
Sb = Kb . C . D / U (kg/cm2)

I'd thank if somebody can give me copy of table for Kx , Kb and C that depending type of piping.

Thanks.

Gtoyo

The information that you are seeking is in the aformentioned reference book (English units only) in Table 5.6. I can fax (U.S. only) or send via snail mail anywhere in the world.

Steve

Steve
I'm looking for same information (rough calculation for forcs on anchors caused by thermal expansion...)

It will be of great help if you mail me the same info.

My e mail is shahin@warmseas.com

Shahin71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back