Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANCHOR RODS DESIGN VALUES & DEVELOPMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgeng

Structural
May 23, 2009
US
Does anyone have any design guidance for anchor rods to be used for deadman anchors and also guidance on developing these rods in the concrete deadman?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am working with a timber bulkhead/retaining wall that will be tied back with anchor rods to a reinforced concrete deadman anchor.

Well, AISC Design Guide one has anchor rod strength charts and is a good guide for the rods. I believe ACI 318 appendix D is a good guide for rod development.

Williams is a good resource for anchor rods used with bulkhead walls.

But at the deadman, won't the anchor rod run all the way through to the backside? Then all you must do is check the bearing plate for bending and bearing.

DaveAtkins

AISC Design Guide #1 is currently being rewritten, to be issued as Rev. #3. On the website, Rev. #2 is no longer available. They tell me there will not be significant changes from Rev. #2, if you can obtain a copy of it.

DaveAtkins:

Yes, the situation is similar to tie-backs for sheetpiling, but utilizes the concrete block (deadman) to gain passive earth resistance, usually the rod is through the concrete to the backside.

I only recall Williams has quite a few solutions for earth/rock works, but I don't know if they have something specifically for this case or not, just want to point out the gereral direction to get help. In the US, the suppliers website can be very informative and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back