Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anchor tension reinforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_delahunty

Structural
Aug 19, 2019
GB
I am trying to design a steel beam to concrete column connection with headed studs. The building is in a highly seismic area and the axial load caused by seismic effect is massive so I am trying to provide tension reinforcement to transfer the load to reinforcement, rather than use the concrete strength. I have found various examples but I am struggling to find the source of the reference shown in the image. I need to find the code reference as this calculation assumed a low seismic risk, whereas my design is high seismic risk.

Note: This example is quite old so uses an old version of ACI 318 (I assume 2008)

EDIT: We came up with a solution to weld deformed bars to the plate which would allow enough room for the bars to develop.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4d4ffca2-ec25-49b4-9e7e-290846a0b151&file=Capture.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The phi is incorrect per ACI 318-14 17.4.2.9, phi is to be taken as .75, same as 11 version. Both the 318-11 & 14 have figures showing the restrictions and intent of anchor reinforcement, in 14 Fig. R17.4.2.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back