Anchor Tie Off for Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Clark

Structural
Oct 12, 2023
US
Hello everyone,

Has anybody ever been asked by a client to provide a tie off point on the top of a steel roof that has the capacity to withstand a 10,000 lbs ultimate load in any direction as prescribed in the NFPA? If so, do you mind sharing what kind of system you used?

I was thinking of welding a steel pipe to the top of a roof beam with a steel plate that has a hole in it for them to tie off too. The challenge is that it would induce torsion into the beam so I would need to some how brace the beam to mitigate the torsion but that is easier said than done.

Just looking for any advice as too what others are doing.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

" a 10,000 lbs ultimate load in any direction as prescribed in the NFPA ?".... Where ?... which NFPA standard ?

"Any direction
" ..? ... For what purpose would there be a 10k upward load on a steel framed building ?

Will there be elephants rappelling down from the roof ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

nfpa_snip_fqeawp.png

I have the same feeling. It has a very high factor of safety. Just looking to see if anyone has come across this issue as putting that kind of load into an existing building requires significant reinforcement.

Maybe call this company and talk to thier engineers…

Seems like they have it figured out

Can be added to any floor or roof deck or mounted overhead. Rated for an ultimate load of 10,000 lbs and working load of 1,000 lbs (exceeds OSHA load requirement 29 CFR 1926.502(d)(15) and meets NFPA 1402 standard 11.2.1). The anchor housing is constructed of aircraft quality galvanized alloy and capable of a 360-degree swivel and 180-degree pivot. To ensure the safety of trainees, each anchor is 200% proof-load tested. Rappelling exercises can be used to simulate high-angle rescue, helicopter deployment, or raising a victim or equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back