Anchorage of Shear Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbuilder

Structural
Jul 1, 1999
KW
Dear All,

In BS 8110 pt 1 clause 3.8.12.6a the code describes anchorage of shear links having a 90 degree bend of certain dimension.

Is it permissible to use such a 90 degree anchor (i.e. a U shaped link) at each end of the link.

Or, as the standard methods of detailing decribe must we use a hook at one end of a link and a 90 degree return at the other.

My situation concerns a heavily reinforced shear wall where the bar fixer prefers the U shaped horizontal link for obvious ease of fixing.

Please share your experiences of different codes if possible.

Regards,

NB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't think of a situation where you would need shear links in a wall unless you had a large lateral point load and needed to protect against punching shear (like a flat slab on its side). Surely the only links you have would be spacers which are there to hold the reinforcement of the two faces apart and so are not shear links at all and so can be any shape you like as long as they hold the reinforcement in place.

Carl Bauer

I cannot see any reason why you could not use the same anchorage (90 deg) at both ends of the link. I would also supoprt carlbauer statement.

Thanks for the replies. Do your answers change if the links are also required as binders to stop compression reinforcement from buckling?

NB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back