Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anchore Reinforcment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadeer Salah

Civil/Environmental
Aug 10, 2018
EG
I`m a steel designer but I`m designing a base plate connection (shown in the attached snap) where I may need to add an anchor reinforcement (Primary or Supplementary) for this concrete.

but I have a question: Are these anchor reinforcements (designed by me) will be added to the existing concrete reinforcement (designed by the concrete designer) OR the existing concrete reinforcements could be used also as an anchor reinforcement?

Noting that: I`m not the designer of the concrete & its existing (main/secondary) reinforcement while I just take the concrete drawing form the concrete engineer.

Hadeer

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6d10f4e6-c0a7-466a-b206-62ad5dcf87c6&file=Base_Plate.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow. Those anchor bolts look close. It won't work to have different reinforcing shown on different drawings and hoping the contractor will put them together and get everything right. Even if they do, there's a good chance you'll have too much congestion and it won't all fit.

Your best bet is to have a conversation with the Engineer of Record for the entire project. He/she should be able to coordinate between you and the concrete designer to make the details work. If there isn't an EOR for the whole project and it's just broken up piecemeal...you'll have to talk directly to the concrete designer.

I don't like plate washers on the bottom... there is an inherent line of weakness caused by the plate washers... they take up a substantial part of the cross-section. Can you stagger them?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

The attachment snap could be considered for refereeing, would you support me regarding the main question
the anchor reinforcement are considered as an additional reinforcement or they are part of the pedestal reinforcement?

Hadeer

You are expected to provide pedestal reinf. not only to provide bending resistance but also to transfer the load to the ftg..ACI 318 specify the pedestal reinf. at 16.3.4.1 at least 0.005Ag, where Ag is the gross area of the supported member.

The followinf excerpt from ASCE ANCHORAGE DESIGN FOR PETROCHEMICAL FACILITIES shows the concept,

pedestal_rebar_vs_anchor_hkzst5.jpg

@hadeer salah

you must have another calculation check, anchor bolt check in particular, and see the failure whether in shear or tension,

but yes you can use the reinforcement of pedestal as reinforcement for anchor bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back