Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ancient spread sheet formats 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgallup

Automotive
May 9, 2003
US
I'm trying to open some files from 1997. Pretty sure they are spreadsheets but I don't know what software. I've got.WB1 and .WK1 files. Excel 2016 doesn't know what to do with them and if I do open them it's gibberish. Are these Quattro files? Any tips on how to open them?

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look here under "File formats that are not supported in Excel".

WK1 is Lotus 1-2-3
WB1 is Quattro Pro

I just opened LibreOffice and it lists WB1 and WK1 formats in it's File Open dialog.

Just found a .WQ1 file too. Looks like various versions of Quattro and Lotus. Supposedly I could download Correl WordPerfect Office but not sure I want to go that route.

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I still have an original 5-1/4 of Visicalc... no idea of what the access code is, anymore... also no idea of what the file extension was.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I was able to find .PRN files that came from the test machine that (I think) was the input to the old spreadsheets. Not sure I got all the headers, etc. exactly right but it's good enough for my purposes. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, IRS... it's been 30 years since I used it... was great at the time.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

IDS,

Wow! give me a couple of weeks, I may have some old QPro & Lotus files to convert. I really liked QPro til corporate decided on MS Office.

Thanks.

IDS,

I just checked my QPro files & I converted all my QPRO files (*.wb1 & *.wq1) to OSX Excel format using LibreOffice in 2018 & did not remember.

The conversion process using LibreOffice appears thorough & I can open the converted files.

Geoff13 is correct, LibreOffice works in converting Lotus 123 (*.wk1) files and Quattro Pro (*.wb1 & *.wq1) files.

Thanks for the offer.

We started with Visacalc. It ran on a Radio Shack Model II. Later we moved over to Lotus 123. Have many files in WK1. Can open with Excel and Libre and save to Excel. The macros don't work. Have about 200 templates, many that were "production" templates, that is they would do 7 problems per template. In some the output could be linked to another template for a specific task. Example is a plywood shear wall template that would size the plywood or particle board or sheet rock and the end pieces. Then the next template would size the hold down fixture for uplift as well as the sill bolts for sliding. Each template had a current data base. Each template had sections for explanations of input and output and then there was a hidden column (L) that could be expanded that provided all of the documentation for printout to be submitted to the building department if they were requiring documentation for home grown spreadsheets. No data was hidden. All cells could be hand calc checked. These could be all fitted in one master spread sheet that had headers, date and time so one could keep track of the latest print out. One page of the master spreadsheet was an hyperlinked index. Practically eliminated hand written calcs - final version 1990). Developed versions for about 5 to 6 years before within my office of about max 15 engineers (ladies and gentlemen engineers). Serious development in 1990 - 1992. Had various data bases - steel, wood, connections, rebar, bolts, screws - ect. Then Windows and Excel came on the market and no one was interested in DOS, Lotus and our RCT program!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back