Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

angle bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzbromp

Civil/Environmental
Jul 26, 2006
US
I am supporting several beams along a concrete wall, with the heaviest load being 23 kips. It was recommended to attach an angle along the wall with one row of bolts. I felt that it would be better to have a support for each beam with 2 rows of bolts to reduce the pullout force, however, I am looking at this scenario for ease of installation.

Looking at an 8x8x3/4 angle with a row of high strength HILTIs 3" from the top, i took the 23 kip load and applied a moment arm of 4", and came up with a Pullout load of 23*4/5 = 17.5 kips (2 gusset plates at the center of the bolts stiffen the angle to pivot at its end). There are 3 bolts near each beam spread out 12" to get full concrete pullout strength, so that amounted to approximately 6 kips/bolt in Pullout and 8 kips/bolt in shear.

I am wondering on stress in the angle. I'm ok with the bending about the horizontal axis parallel the angle, since the stiffener acts as a stem and the plate of the angle as the flange. Do you typically look at bending of the connected leg about the vertical axis for instance? If so, a 6 kip tensile bolt load applied at a distance of 6 inches from the stiffener would be a 36 in-kip moment. Since the angle is only 3/4" thick, its section would be small and a high stress would result. I am wondering if this is extremely conservative as it is more of a 2 side supported plate (3 if two gussets surround bolt) or maybe deflection of this area would just put plate in some sort of tension mode?

Any input is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to consider all these stresses, but I think your connection works. The critical thing in these connections is the workmanship in installing the anchors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back