Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Angled garage addition to existing house

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyD

Structural
Jan 28, 2011
US
Quick question about drawing a garage addition at an angle to existing residence. For drawing up the foundation plan, what is the preferred method of noting the angle? Do I use terms of "degrees" or "?/12" (like a roof pitch)? I drew the preliminary plan at 22.5 degrees, which equates to ~5/12. Thinking more about it, the masons probably prefer to use x/12, for locating intersecting walls with their tapes, etc.

Any input is appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think it really matters to be honest. Generally I've only seen the X/12 used for slopes of roof and floors, for angular skews in plan it's always a degrees.

Architects always show the angle, but I try to dimension foundation plans so that the contractor can measure to the corners. In this case, a dimension perpendicular from the existing wall and a dimension along the length of the skewed wall - enough so the contractor doesn't have to use trigonometry

XR250 said:
Usually a surveyor sets the points so probably angles are best.
Not in any residential construction I have seen (unless it is a new development).

I would show both the angle and the measurements that kipfoot suggested.

dauwerda said:
Not in any residential construction I have seen (unless it is a new development)
Interesting. Around here, unless it is super simple, a surveyor is involved. The masons sure appreciate it when all their corners are marked on the footings.
In my particular town, they require it to make sure you are not in a setback - even if it is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back