Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Animator Issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anyone NOT have Animator issues?

I get a glitch that resets to original positon before starting animation in "animation defined" position. Also very sensitive to which config I am using. I find it helps yo make a special config for animations. Sometimes mates need to be rearranged.

this is just a band-aid, but i have made my animations with a 2-step process. For each movement, i first drag the part by hand 90% of the way to where it's supposed to go. Then i move the timeline down a touch and unsuppress the mate that brings the part to its exact location. This method has prevented issues with dozens of mates flipping at once (and undo doesn't work!) I still haven't been able to make an animation that looks 100% how i want it to.

SW 2008 Office Professional SP 4.0
Intel Xeon 3.40GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 2

Mate the camera to an invisible component (I call it a "camera sled"). Use distance mates to drive the position of the camera sled.

I don't think the "camera sled" would work in this case. The camera flies up, over, under, around and through the structure. Also, the focal point changes throughout the animation. I thought it was a pretty simply animation, actually.
The most confusing thing is that not every component was affected and only distance mates changed/updated spontaneously in the affected components.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE

You can change the focal point as you move along--check it out (maybe the Animator tutorials?).

Unfortunately, Animator is more buggy than a beetle-killed pine tree. So I don't think the MS update had anything to do with what you see. This is the sort of thing I've fought even since the interface update of SW 2006 (better, but not solid at all).

A few things:
You really cannot edit an animation to any real degree without parts suddenly misbehaving. If you return parts to where you want them, you'll get the evil red diamonds of death. This requires a new attempt at the animation.
Because of this, I write out a detailed script for time and part movement so I get it right the first time.
I also use sketches and camera sleds to guide my camera. My camera sled has a sketch of various lines and endpoints that I use to minimally-constrain it to my guide sketch. I can slide the camera along this sketch easily within SW, but in Animator, this must be done in incremental steps or strange things happen. The problem with this is that it's very tough to get the speed of the camera even by doing so.
Never use a production assembly for creating Animations. Break moving "chunks" into sub-assemblies, and dis-allow flexible sub-assemblies. Sometimes I even save sub-assemblies as part files for further simplification. The assembly must be rebuilt entirely under these principles (depending on the complexity of your motion).
I use lots of ghost parts where the nature of the motion must change. So if I have a tailgate that must rotate into position and then a flipper gate on the end of that that unfolds, and then the whole must move down, that requires four separate moving chunks that alternate within fractions of seconds in visibility. All are hidden until needed, all are constrained except in the one range of motion I require. All must be quickly shown, moved, and hidden again to get what I want (the animations at Tommygate.com were all done with Animator in this way).

A Possible work-around for what you're encountering:
If you don't need motion in your assembly, but are concentrating on camera motion, create a new assembly in which your current one is used as a sub-assembly (even if it's the only "part" of your assembly). Dis-allow flexible sub-assemblies, and nothing will move. If this fails, a more sure way to go is to save your assembly as a part file (or export to parasolid and re-import as a part file). The down-side here is that you'll need to apply materials/decals to everything again--so try the first method and see if it works.

Good luck--Animator is terribly unpredictable and the motion rules run counter to the rules used by SolidWorks--so what works with SolidWorks will not work with Animator. The trick is in figuring out the sinister, limited rules by which Animator works.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back