Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ankle Support mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTOP

Mechanical
Jun 29, 2005
CA
Hello all,

I am trying to find the best way to mold an ankel support into its desired shape - I need to know what type of molding process is desired for this type of shape?

The shape is about 50-70cm wide by about 100-150 cm long, 5mm thick and is concave in shape (not sure about the radius of curve).

Thanks a lot,

-LTOP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which process is the best depends on your potential volume. If over 10,000 units chose injection molding. Lower quanities can be thermoformed, if the design is simple. Which material you chose will depend on the process and physical properties. Look at competitive products and see what they use. Are you proposing to market this yourself? Developing the distribution channel will be more difficult than designing the product and making the tool.

Heh, Thanks for the info,

Actually I am writing report on the design of an ankle support using a thermoplastic composite. As far as the competition is concerned some use PVC because of it's strenght and flexibility.

Do you still think thermoforming or injection molding is the best bet?

Thanks,

-LTOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back