Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annealing 17-4PH

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensij

Materials
Sep 4, 2009
US

Would anyone care to speculate on what dew point level would need to be specified to avoid embrittlement of 17-4 in a hydrogen (bright) furnace @ 1950°F?

I have found some incredibly helpful information here in other threads as I have researched this project, hopefully I haven't missed a reference where the question is already answered.

Thanks,
-------Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't get hydrogen embrittlement in bright anneal because the annealed condition is not susceptible to it. As long as the pats are bright (say -50 DP or better) and the the parts exit into air at a temp of 250F or so you will be fine.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Ed,

Thanks for the response. I had found the text below in the Allegheny Ludlum data sheet for 17-4, and am concerned that the "bright" requirement might not be good enough. I've got some parts that became brittle with an H2 exit DP of -40. It sounds like my furnace might not be too far away from being able to do this, if I can get it tightened up a bit.

(-----------------
Material in the annealed condition should not generally be put into service. In this condition, the material has an untempered martensite structure and is less ductile than aged material. The untempered martensite may be subject to unpredictable brittle fractures. In corrosive environments, the untempered martensite is more sensitive to embrittling phenomena such as hydrogen embrittlement than material which has had one of the precipitation hardening heat treatments.

Jason

Did you cool to near room temp in Hydrogen? It would be better to allow parts to exit into air at 200-300F. If there is a bit of residual hydrogen this will allow a bake out.
The bigger issue is that if your surface isn't truly bright the oxide skin can trap hydrogen in the alloy and make it very difficult to remove.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back