Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annealing Aluminium

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalEng

Bioengineer
Feb 1, 2010
IE
Want to anneal two aluminum samples at home with household equipment as a little experiment. Just wondering what you guys think on the methods. Not sure if I am better off setting the oven to maximum heat or using the fireplace. Just going to quench in water.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmmn.

What maximum temperature do you think you are going to get from either? (Hint: Test BOTH methods first. MEASURE the entire cross section of your part (make a test piece!) with an IR thermometer to see just how (poorly!) your heat "evenness" is going to be. For your problem you MUST get ALL section of your part up to the required temperature for the required time WITHOUT over-heating the more closely exposed and thinner parts to a too-high heat.) I really, really don't expect any type of even temperature distribution from your fireplace. Even with charcoal piles around the AL part.

2nd. The microwave oven is not recommended. 8<)
My microwave convection oven can only get to 450 F .... not very high. 8<(

3rd. Oxy-acetylene burners with a rosette tip "might" work if you can submerge the part in a heat-transferring uniform rock or gravel or SSTL pebble-type mixture that evens out the heat flux over the whole part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back