Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Annealing Gadolinium 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanof1

Chemical
Oct 6, 2011
US
I am having to anneal Gadolinium (oxide and carbide mix) to a temp of 880c and i have a small portion of copper powder mixed in less than 3%. I have knoticed that when I anneal this mixture for 30min at that temp, all my mixture is grey in color and still in powder form. Yet when I take the proccess to one hour the entire powder has turned green in color and has formed into a semi-solid state. I can easly grind the material back down into a powder. Can anyone help me understand what is happaning and why the entire anealling material is turning a dark green when baked for one hour?

I can understand copper turning green; but why the entire batch is a uniform green through out the brick (no grey color present at all) since copper powder is comprising only 3% of the total mass. Am I changing the crystal structure enough at that low a temp for Gd? Could I be forming a metal-alloy with Gd and Cu?

If anyone can help that will be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are either oxidizing the copper that is present or more likely forming a new alloy by exceeding the solidus temperature for this alloy composition. For a 3% Cu alloy of Gd the solidus temperature is 860C. Due to the rather poor thermal conductivity of the powder mixture, it may take a certain amount of time for the alloy to actually reach the solidus temperature.

Copper oxides are red and black ( +1 and +2 , as I remember). Green colors are various copper hydroxides, carbonates, S compounds, etc.
Beach sand is typically silica (white), but is turned "sand" color by a couple % iron oxide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back