Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annual Recurrence Interval (ARI) for Roof and Surface Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecivil

Civil/Environmental
Apr 23, 2014
AU
Hi,

Can anyone give me a proper explanation why roof drainage systems (downpipes, gutters, etc.) are typically sized different in ARI than the surface drains it outfalls to?

Example, roof downpipes are designed to 20-Yr ARI along with overflow measures e.g. rainheads
However, it discharges to the pit on the ground with outlet pipes designed to 10-Yr ARI as required by councils.

I have always believed that roof downpipes must allow the greater flows to discharge from the roof to reduce chances of ponding/surcharging and causing damage. The flows through the buried pipes are then acting under head during the designed roof ARI.

Thanks very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I actually do work in one municipality that requires all roof drains, gutters, and associated MEP to be sized for the 100 year.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

The real answer to this question:

Can anyone give me a proper explanation why roof drainage systems (downpipes, gutters, etc.) are typically sized different in ARI than the surface drains it outfalls to?

...is that the requirements were typically brewed up by different government agencies with different engineering backgrounds (if any background at all) so their expectations of what to design for are basically unrelated.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back