Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Another Bridge The “Mile Long” Bridge in Breckenridge Texas 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FacEngrPE

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2020
US
This was reported by JStephen (Mechanical) in the I 195 (RI) bridge closure thread.

STEPHENS COUNTY, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – The “Mile Long” Bridge in Breckenridge will remain closed due to threat of collapse, causing a disaster declaration to remain in place for residents in that area.

Screenshot_from_2023-12-27_16-15-42_iak4o1.png

Information is rather thin,

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://breckenridgetexan.com/2023/12/23/txdot-closes-mile-long-bridge-over-hubbard-creek-lake-for-repairs-timeline-for-project-undetermined-at-this-time/[/URL]]Stephens County Sheriff Kevin Roach said that the Sheriff’s Office responded to a call from someone who was fishing at the lake and said he saw something concerning with the concrete at the bridge.

“So we contacted TxDOT; they assured us they thought it was cosmetic because there had been a recent inspection — I don’t know how recent– and they were going to go out and look at it,” the sheriff said.
The "Look" resulted in emergency closure for repairs.

TxDot news release

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's another article on the matter:

Some pretty good pictures.

Odd that a passing fisherman was the one reporting the problem, instead of that bridge inspector. However, since it's "cosmetic", a little Bondo should clear it right. Since it's an emergency, we can skip the sanding part.

I do admit it to wondering how non-supported bridge shoes qualifies as "cosmetic". But I'm not in that trade, so.......

spsalso

That's another scary part... I wonder how many other bridges out there have been recently inspected?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

ya... that damage looked like it was about 23 months... [pipe]

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Texas records bridge data in a GIS system here:

The link should zoom to the record for the subject bridge - Part of the record is copies here:
Bridge ID 232150001107064
FEAT_INTSECT HUBBARD CREEK LAKE
YR_BLT 1962
LANES_ON_STRUC 2
DECK_COND_RTNG 7
SUPERSTRUC_COND_RTNG 7
SUBSTRUC_COND_RTNG 6
CHNL_COND_RTNG 7
[highlight #FCE94F]INSPT_DT 8/29/2023, 8:00 PM[/highlight] ???

The data speaks for itself.

By the date, does that mean the deterioration has occurred over a 4 month period, or was that when the deterioration had occurred?

-----*****-----

-Dik

I doubt this is 4 months of deterioration, however the pictures (spsalso's link to the breckenridgetexan) have some clues. The different colors of concrete indicate there was extensive concrete repair performed here at some time in the past. It is possible that the repair concrete experienced rapid degradation such that it did not look as bad 4 months age, but was already barely hanging on. It should have flunked a hammer test.

This could be as simple as as incorrect mortar and detailing was chosen for a prior repair.

But, was it four months since it was inspected?

-----*****-----

-Dik

Is mortar appropriate for holding up bridge shoes?

If there was "...extensive concrete repair...", would that not signify a need to have intense inspection of the location until it was confirmed the repair was working? I look forward to reading the inspection reports.

Really? The areas in the photo looked perfectly fine 4 months ago? I will note an intense amount of weathering in the middle photo of the article. NO WAY that all happened in four months.

It should be noted that this event was undoubtedly an outlier, and that it is undoubted that all the other bridges in Texas are in fine working order (sorta like Pennsylvania). Or, if they are not, that proper records are being taken of their failings, and of their repairs.

spsalso

"But, was it four months since it was inspected?"

Yes. And on the inspection date, the inspector gave the "substructure" a rating of 6. I expect that bridge shoes slipping off of piers would generate a far lower number (again, I'm not in the trade), so either the inspector did not see the problem, or the Bondo was still doing its job.

There are, by the way, quite a few piers crossing that body of water. We have only been rewarded with views of two (I believe). I wonder at the condition of all the others. And. If all the others are in really good condition, how is it that these two locations happened to have a dramatic failure. Especially considering that the construction method appears to be very repetitive? Why them?

Very interesting how a simple causeway can have this problem. It ain't no Genoa Bridge, as they say.

FacEngrPE has noted that the bridge inspection occurred at 8PM. It would still be light at this time; and if the noted time was at the end of the inspection, I don't see a problem--time to go to the motel and kick back!

Could it be possible that the entities charged with inspecting the Texas bridges scheduled far too many inspections, and then leaned on their inspectors to keep to a schedule? NAAHHHHHHHH........

spsalso

From my post above, the piers are settling. From the images it looks as though they were wrestling with this problem already but it suddenly accelerated. That throws into question the thoroughness of previous evaluations.

Could it be that they lifted the T beams and reloaded the shifted piers thinking they could get away with it? Does the database indicate when this significant intervention took place?

rubber_mats_c6ntez.jpg

IRstuff (Aerospace) - If looks like a variety of steel shoes on the diaphragm, a steel tab bolted under the diaphragm, and numerous shims, plastic or metal.

Edit: I might add, none of this seems to make much sense but we don't know what they were working with at the time.

“They are putting their inconvenience above human life by moving the barricades and traveling across the bridge. The Stephens County Sheriff’s Office will have zero tolerance, and violators will be held accountable.”

“If someone disregarded the barricades and caused more damage to the bridge. They could possibly be charged with criminal mischief as well,” Sheriff Roach wrote in a text message. “The level of crime (Misdemeanor or felony) would be based on the dollar value of the damage.”

Such concern in a situation where only a few days ago County Sheriff’s Office were happy to have hundreds of heavy trucks and thousands of passenger vehicles passing over it every day. Has there been any similar concern over the lack of suitable inspections and maintenance that put the inconvenience of doing so above human life by ignoring the damage?

I doubt there will be felony arrests in this case for gross negligence in inspecting and maintaining the structure.

I think there's more than the bridge that's broken...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back