Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Question about Driving on Septic Lines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrass604

Computer
Dec 22, 2002
US
I need to park an RV in the rear of the property. The new driveway would cross an existing septic line. I am told (by DIY friend) that I can put a hard pipe on that section of septic line and extend the end of the line to make up the difference. Has anyone heard of this, or do I need to move the line to avoid crossing under the driveway?

Any help appreciated.

Ray

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How old is the home and do you know what material the pipe is? If the house is less than 25 years old, it is likely PVC pipe. If properly bedded in gravel and two feet deep, it would withstand a car driving over it. I would not chance it with a RV. You could put in a section of ductile iron pipe without significant harm to the function of the lateral line. If you know it is PVC bedded in gravel and you do not drive the RV often, just lay down some long 2"x6" boards to distribute the weight of the vehicle.

Thanks for the information. I have not actually checked the lines although I know they were replaced just a few years ago. I am an EE not a CE and my 'DIY friend' is an ME, so I was hoping that he was not leading me down into some new R&D solution.

Thanks again for your help.

I would not use DIP for septic tank effluent unless it was as a sleeve for a solid PVC pipe. I like a solid SCH 80 PVC or C900 PVC pipe without a sleeve and with 12" minimum of cover plus a 4' wide x 6" deep 3000 psi concrete slab. Pea gravel bedding is great.

However, have you considered making a 90 degree turn or a u-turn with the drain pipe and avoiding going under the driveway. If you run the lines parallel, 6' on center is adequate here in Florida. I would keep the drain lines 5 feet from the drive.

Best of luck.... Clifford H Laubstein
FL Certified PE #58662

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back