Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ANSI 16.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It’s ASME B16.5, not ANSI 16.5 or ASME 16.5.
The info requested is documented in the aforementioned standard. If you need to know it, you should have a (legal) copy, therefore be able to locate it there.
This site and its user base is not intended to help you in finding answers to such simple question. Perhaps someone may give you the answer, but I’m quite sure moet here will acknowledge this.
If you have looked in the aforementioned standard and are not able to locate the answer, please provide a bit more background what you’ve done so far so we’re able to give you detailed advice.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Hello, XL83NL, Sorry for not being specific on the standard description and thanks for your answer.
I read the ASME B16.5, item 6 (and in special 6.5) where the bolt holes tolerance should be, and after that looked for the entire standard and didn`t find the tolerance for flange bolt holes diameter, just for thir position. Since I am not familiar with this kind of product application I decided to ask for help here where there are centuries of experience. I have to prepare an inspection plan for flanges, so I need to know the tolerances. Best regards.

No problem, this provides a beter start.
One thing I forget to add is to (also) do a search prior to posting. The site has a good search function, but Google can also do that trick provided you have the right search query.
Perhaps this topic may be of interest?

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Hi, XL83NL
It seems I am not alone with this doubt. I just contacted a flange manufacturer and the designer said they use +/- 1mm for flanges till 4", bigger can be increased to +/- 1,5 otherwise he said that there are no standard for it, just experience. Thanks for your help and your time supporting me.

ASME B16.5 does not provide tolerance for the bolt hole diameter because the tolerance depends upon how the holes are formed or machined. Flanged fittings could be cast, and the holes themselves formed as part of the casting process. If they are machined, then the diameter can be more tightly controlled. Tolerance is established by the manufacturer depending upon the product process used to form the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back