Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSI B16.1 RFWN??? Very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTank

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2007
US
I spec'ed and ordered an ASME B16.47 Series A 36" 150# RFWN flange, and received what appears to be an ANSI B16.1.

I cannot confirm this as I am unable to find the dimension chart I found on Friday for a B16.1 36" 150# RFWN. I am almost sure I found this chart, but now all I can find is a chart for a B16.1 36" 125# RFWN flange, or 150# class flanges under 24" nom.

The problem is that this flange is welded as a body flange in a vessel, and in attempting to locate nozzles, we discovered that the flange is built to the incorrect standard. We now need to re-run the calcs to see if we need to cut this flange off and replace it with the correct one.

The stamp on the flange simply says 'B16', and then has the other required data in some order (size, A-105, etc.)

To summarize, I suppose I'm a bit confused about this standard. Can someone give me some info on the B16.1 flanges? I.E. Dimensions, available classes, and anything else you know about them?

Fitter, happier, more productive

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Handy. Do you know if this particular code is still active?

--------------------------------

If they are Class 125, they are stamped wrong. They are stamped as 150# class.

A B61.1 Cast Iron flange has the same bolt circle diameter, same size and number of bolt holes and the same flange thickness as B16.47 Series A. But, your flange is only marked B16, so no telling what you actually have.

Irrespective of marking issues, if you ordered a steel flange to ANSI B16.47 and instead/in fact got a B16.1 cast iron flange, it would appear to me you have not gotten what you ordered. However, are you very sure the flange is cast iron (and not e.g. a steel flange that the vendor or fabricator furnished and with a sort of generic B16.*.* marking scheme, perhaps intended somehow to satisfy availability/multiple ANSI standards requirements for various steel flanges)?

If it is in fact/instead steel, and not B16.1, I am not familiar enough with all specifications and codes to answer a followup question of whether such a generic or blanket marking scheme, if that is the case, satisfies the specific marking standards of all codes etc.

rconner: my sentiments exactly. we did not get what was ordered. the matter of payment seems to be a different matter entirely as the cost on the T&M report doesn't match the quoted price of the B16.47 flanges. if it were up to me, i'd be reading the riot act to our vendor, but that's not my duty.

aside, the flange IS indeed A-105/SA-105, and not cast iron. it is built to the ANSI B16.1 dimensions, but definitely forged and stamped with a 150# rating.

very curious mess, indeed. the vendor has been notified, and is supposedly trying to figure what and how it happened. meanwhile, that portion of the vessel is waiting for a resolution...

tick tock tick tock....

By the way, thank everyone for their help with this ANSI code of which I am not well versed. I'm learning an awful lot awfully quick, as is the norm i suppose.

I'm still looking for answers...does anyone think it possible that the markings required by this standard are different from the actual flange rating to keep consistent with other standards? In other words, the flange is rated 125# by the ANSI B16.1 code, to which this flange conforms dimensionally, but it may be marked 150# as this rating is more common?

Or...another scenario...could the flange be built dimensionally to the ANSI B16.1 standard, but built from forged steel per ANSI A-105, and thus the class rating increased to 150#? That sounds to me like they'd be stepping into a different standard altogether with the material change, but I could be wrong.

nice link unclesyd! very concise...right there in front of you. thanks for the resource! (but i've found this information already) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back