ANSI B16.47 HEAT TREATING CONDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

juancito

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2000
AR
Dear All,

I thought that flanges #300 and over must be supplied in normalized condition. But I went through the norm and found nothing about this subject. May be I did not search properly.
Can someone confirm if normalized is mandatory or not.
Thank you in advance

Juan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

juan....

The requirements for normalizing would not be found in ANSI B16.47. ANSI B16.47 is a standard covering flange dimensions and pressure ratings.

The requirements for normalizing a specific material would be found in an ASTM (or equivalent) material standard. ASTM standards give the purchaser the option of specifying additional heat treatments to the materials he wants.

Perhaps you should review the piping design code such as ASME B31.1/B31.3 and see what materials requirements are necessary.

-My opinion only

-MJC

DSB123, you're right!
Refer to the excerpt from ASME B16.47 standard;-
"Following approval by the Standards Committee and ASME, Boiler and Pressure Vessel Committee, ANSI approved the previous edition as an American National Standard on October 3, 1996 with the new designation ASME B16.47-1996...ASME B16.47-2006 was approved by the American National Standards Institute on November 6, 2006".
However, the ANSI website is selling an ANSI/ASME standard called ASME B16.47...hilarious!
Cheers,
gr2vessels

gr2vessels,
Why do engineers still refer to ANSI standards? It's incorrect. I always ensure references are correct regarding standards. I put it down to laziness or the "it's near enough they'll know what I mean" attitude. Years ago it would have been jumped on by any Chief Engineer reviewing documents but not nowadays!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back