Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ANSI sprocket profile vs ISO sprocket profile dimesnioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCich

Mechanical
May 12, 2016
DE
I've been told elsewhere that this is the best place to ask my question.

My company needs to replace some of the old chain sprockets with the new ones. The one which we currently use are according to the ANSI standards, ad in my country we normally apply ISO standards. We want to buy the sprockets from the manufacturer on the local market (usually this gets us much lower price). I made the drawing following the formulas in the "Machinery's Handbook" and some tutorials on the web. However I couldn't find the fully dimensioned ANSI tooth profile (on the manufacturing drawing). I imagine that in US you don't need that, you just specify the chain type and number of teeth and manufacturers know what to do, but since our manufacturers don't know that standard they need fully dimensioned drawing.
Could you please take a look ad verify whether my drawing (detail A) is OK?

I also have another question. Does anyone know why ISO sprockets have way simpler form? In ISO the 1 side of the tooth profile consist of just 2 tangent arcs, in ANSI there are 3 arcs and a line. Would it be a good idea to form the teeth for ANSI chain like for the ISO one? The manufacturers are familiar with it. Of course the seating curve diameter would be the same like for ANSI chain.

I have searched the forums, found similar threads, but without any drawings that would be useful to me.

Thank you in advance!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=900896b2-52f6-4269-bb25-85
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back