Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Answers at the Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaolsen

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2004
US
I would like to have a summary section at the beginning of my analysis document that sumarizes the answers. Since MathCAD works in spacial order, I'm not sure if this is possible. If anyone knows how to do this I would really appreciate the help.

thanks,

Erik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just scanned down through the previous threads and saw that someone had the same question a few weeks ago.

I can't get the solution to work for me though...

"Can you just define that variable as a global variable at the end where it turns up, and then at the top of the worksheet just display the value of it?"

I tried defining a new variable and setting it equal to my solution variable using the ~ key. I can't get this to work though.

Any ideas?

E

I think that was my answer.

What you should do is this:

1) set up your worksheet without the summary at the top, go clear through to the end.

2)as you set up the variables, you typically define a variable using the colon to define a variable, like this:

A : pi()*r^2 (use mathcad syntax) That colon will show up as .= in mathcad. (This is the defining = sign in the help.)

But, for any variable that you want to display on the top summary section do it differently: use the global = definition. I believe this is the ctrl-=. It is a global variable, and the value can be displayed anywhere in the sheet, including at the top.

Next, go back to the top of the worksheet and set up your summary with appropriate notes, text, refernces etc. If you want to display the value of A there, just type A = and you will get the current value; add the proper units and you have it.

A drawback is that if you have blanks for any of your input values, you will probalby get something that looks like an error for these global variables, this will disappear as soon as you have all your input variables assigned with valuses.

Regards,

chichuck

OK, that helps but...

every value that I want to define as a global variable won't do that unless all of the variables that drive it are also defined as global variables. At least that how it seems. If this is true, I would have to have nearly every variable in my 12 page analysis defied as a global variable. Maybe I'm not doing it right, I don't know...

E

It is important for me to show my work along the way.

I did find one solution that suits my needs fairly well though:

Create a new MathCAD file. At the start of the file insert a reference linking to the primary file, (Insert > Reference). Make the new file into a summary page showing the variables using the "X=" notation.

This works well but you have to keep the files in the same place (relative to each other). It would be perfect if I could do this in the same file, but this is pretty close.

Erik

what about using mathconnex? that will tie all the files together, and you could even have your answers in some other application (eg Excel) all formatted nicely.

Bung
Life is non-linear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back