Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS element type

Status
Not open for further replies.

celeron8

Civil/Environmental
May 27, 2012
US
I'm new ANSYS user, I need to use element types like solid 46 and solid 65 but I don't see them under any element type, actually I dont see that much options like the one listed in ANSYS manual, I use mechanical ANSYS 14.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I`m also new to ANSYS, but try running this command: ET,1,solid46 . After running this command check your elements list to see if you got what you requested.

By default, some of the older elements are hidden from view and by using "ET" -- element type you can/should have the option to access them.

Best of luck!

Although 45 is no longer supported it can still be used in the code. The current technology element (ie equivalent to SOLID45) is the SOLID185 element.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Thank you Drej , that is so helpful. Is there any document listing the new types compared to old once, it is hard to know which are the same when u r newbie :).
Also I'm doing circular column confined with composites, which is the best SHELL type that is work better for the composite material?
Thank you for reading!

If you search the help manual there is a list of legacy and equivalent element types. Also, if you search the manual for SOLID65 (for example) then at the top of the page for this element it will tell you which element now supercedes this. There is a section dedicated to legacy elements in the manual, see:

"Mechanical APDL > Feature Acrchive > III Legacy Elements"

SHELL281 may be suitable for your composite requirements, check the manual to be sure.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back