Ansys: Explicit Dynamics - Full integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo97

Student
Jun 13, 2024
GR
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a project using Ansys Explicit Dynamics. Upon solving the model, severe hourglass energy was encountered. Flanagan Belytschko damping with a stiffness value of 0.1, proved to be insufficient to resolve the issue, so I decided to use Full Integration instead. Problem is that I cannot find any relevant info anywhere as to how to switch from Reduced Integration to Full integration of elements in Explicit Dynamics. Does anybody know who to do it or, in general, provide any alternative approaches in dealing with Hourglass Energy? Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only for hex elements-
Model=>geometry=>details of "geometry"=>element control=>set to Manual
Then select the solids under geometry for which you want to use full integration element=>brick integration scheme=> full

For shell elements, need to insert APDL command snippet under surfaces.

Alternative approach to reduce hourglass energy is to refine the mesh, avoid point loading of single elements etc.

Dear NRP99,

thank you kindly for your reply. I couldn't find the "element control" option nowhere in Explicit Dynamics, though it is available in the Static & Transient Structural. Below is an image of the available options displayed in the details of "geometry" => Definition tab. I will follow your alternative suggestions and see what the outcome of those will be. Thanks again your reply.
definition_tab_ndzxm0.png

Are you using Autodyn? Might be Autodyn only supports reduced integration. Please check the Autodyn help documentation/User Manual/guide.

Sorry. Currently, I have no access to Ansys. May be you can play with the stiffness in the Flanagan Belytschko damping, mesh refinement in critical area and other options provided in documention mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back