Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS - Is there a capability to accurately model corroded areas in a FE model with shell elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbettle

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2021
GB
I often encounter problems that involve corroded areas on pressure vessels and other pieces of equipment. Normally when assessing these problems i will be given a table of measurements of corrosion depth for a certain area of the vessel wall

when inputting this into an FE model it often requires some degree of assumption as to how to model the corroded area e.g. model the entire corroded area to the same thickness as the minimum measured thickness. which is fine in certain circumstances but maybe overly conservative in others.

I've been wondering if there is any way within design modeller or through ACT extensions in ANSYS that i can input a corrosion grid (e.g. a table indicating the area of the wall and the thickness measured) and have ansys mesh that area to the measured thickness in the table?

I imagine this may be possible with shell elements, but have been unable to work out an easy way to accomplish it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Might be able to do this with an APDL command snippet. Take a look at the SECFUNCTION command.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back