Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS - Radiation of a satellite - Surface-to-surface or to Ambient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2015
CH
Hi all,

I'm performing a thermal analysis of a satellite subsystem (antenna). However, I'm having some issues relating to the model that I'm implementing on ANSYS.

I've already computed the values for the solar flux, albedo and IR that the satellite is subject and I've applied it to different areas of the radome and support, together with the heat generated by the antenna.

Then, I inserted "radiation" to ambient in almost all geometries that are in the exterior of the satellite. I defined the temperature as T[sub]space[/sub] = 3 K. After, I inserted a correlation "surface-to-surface" between certain geometries (that view each other), but since I've already applied on that geometries a correlation "to ambient" it does compute.
By this, I mean can I apply a Surface-to-Surface Radiation load to a geometric entity that is already attached to another Radiation load, in this case to ambient?

My solution, yet to discuss, it to define all the geometries radiation to the ambient, and compute in Matlab, and based on estimated View factors of each surface, determine the heat flux each one will receive form the coupled surface. Is this the right way to go?

Cheers,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the software has special treatments, imposing a boundary condition on the surface that has been defined with contact conditions should be avoided. So for your question "I mean can I apply a Surface-to-Surface Radiation load to a geometric entity that is already attached to another Radiation load, in this case to ambient?" is not recommended. However, you can try and see any difference in solutions, it is much more relay on how does the software program deal with such scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back