Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS SUMTYPE command

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaboche

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2007
GB
I thought I would share this information since I struggled a bit with the ANSYS SUMTYPE command.

The SUMTYPE command is used when combining loadcases (LCOPER). It allows you to retain the signage of the stresses and nodal forces when performing SRSS operations. It can be used in a Response Spectrum Analysis (RSA) for seismic analysis.

SUMTYPE,COMP is the default whereby results are combined without signage (everything stays positive e.g. principal or equivalent stress). As far as I can tell this is conservative.

SUMTYPE,PRIN takes account of the signage, hence positive and negative (principal, equivalent stress) results are formulated.

It is important to note that the default is SUMTYPE,COMP, and hence EVERY time you enter /post1, SUMTYPE,PRIN should be issued. Issue the SUMTYPE PRIN before reading in the *.mcom file when reviewing response spectrum results. Also issue it before any LCASE commands i.e. whenever you view the results by reading in a LCASE. Also, if you are in already in /post1 and resume a database, ensure to issue SUMTYPE,PRIN again to ensure the default is not reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back