Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS V12_Thermal Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

livedie

Mechanical
Dec 12, 2010
TR
Hi everyone;

I need some support on ANSYS V12...
I designed a part on CatiaV5 and I want to inspect the thermal expansion of this part on Ansys...
I dont have so many experiences on Ansys...
my first question is how can I achive this inspection on Ansys...?

and my second question ist I got an error like at the picture...

what can I do?please help me on this situation...

thx...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't help you with your model import error, but perhaps I can help out with the procedure for determining thermal strains/displacements.

You'll first want to create a thermal model to determine your temperature contours (which it seems you have done), and then map the results onto a structural model so that you can determine the nodal displacements. You'll want to drag-and-drop a static structural model into your workspace and connect it to your thermal model. The new GUI is quite nice for this sort of thing.

Make sure that you have appropriate material properties defined.

thank you very much for your answer

I sketched a part from catia igs. and then I tried to inspect my part on ansys workbench.

But I don't know which part of ansys can help me...

for ex. steady state thermal or transient thermal...?

after this I know that I have to give some input regarding my part(such as expansion coefficient).

I need some support on this situation...Could you help me please step by step...

Thnk you again

The error message could one of many things.

-Could be that the body types you have selected for import are not in the model

- Could be that you don't know to select what types of bodies you want to import (In the workbench window you show, click on the GEOMETRY box, make sure you have PROPERTIES checked off in the drop down box from VIEW at the top). The PROPERTIES box for GEOMETRY has various things you can check off, like LINES, SURFACES, SOLIDS and model type 2D or 3D)

-Could be that your setup is incorrect and the CATIA-ANSYS plug-in is missing or in a different folder than where WB is looking

Please take care about how you define the effects of thermal expansion.
it can be defined by three different ways in ansys:
-secant coefficient of thermal expansion
-instantaneous coefficient of TE
-thermal strain.

I would suggest that you go through the help file in order to understand what ANSYS is doing otherwise some really unexpected results may arise.

good luck.

Best Regards,
Sartor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back