Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSYS Workbench and SUMTYPE command

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaboche

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2007
GB
We have decided to try Ansys Workbench to perform a seismic Response Spectrum Analysis (RSA). In Ansys MAPDL, during calculation of equivalent stresses using RSA, we would normally include the SUMTYPE,PRIN command. The SUMTYPE,PRIN performs the RSA combination using the principal stresses rather than component stresses. Combination of the component stresses may underestimate the final result. There doesn't seem to be the option to include the SUMTPYE option in Ansys Workbench. It does allow generation of equivalent stress plots however, so I am wondering whether it automatically includes the command, and if the results generated are valid.

Has anyone successfully performed and RSA in Ansys Workbench to obtain stress plots? Do you need to take into consideration the SUMTYPE,PRIN command? I guess could do a test case to compare MAPDL and Workbench, but I am worried this will give different answers and I'm not sure which one is correct. I would be surprised if Workbench will allow stress results to be plotted if they are incorrect.

Thanks all.
Dave Hunt
Assystem Energy & Infrastructure
Sunderland, UK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not tried this, but you could try a command snippet. In the tree, right click on Response Spectrum, then Insert, Commands. then put in your sumtype,prin command.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back