Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ansys Workbench convergence issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AminCE

Civil/Environmental
Feb 1, 2018
DZ
Hi,
I am modelling reinforced concrete frame using ANSYS Workbench. I am using SOLID 65 for concrete and LINK 180 for steel.
I solved the model with two different mesh sizing:
1- The model converge without problems with big mesh size, and gives me good results. (the extra displacement shapes is included)
2- But with the small mesh sizing. When I include the extra displacement shapes (Key Option 1 = 0) the model loss convergence, and when I suppress extra displacement shapes (Key Option 1 = 1) the model converge, but it gives me bad results.
My question is how can I solve the model by including extra displacement shapes?
Knowing that, I played on the number of steps and the sub steps but the model didn't converge.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hard to say without seeing the model. 1. Are you using nonlinear or temp dependent materials, or contact, nonlinear geometry? If not, i think convergence should be automatic. 2. IS the element count going way up with the fine mesh? Sometimes WB will change the solver from direct to PCG, which can cause an issue sometimes. 3. Which convergence norm is not converging?

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back