Status
Not open for further replies.

Atarek

Electrical
Apr 16, 2017
EG
Hi everyone,

I have a problem and i hope someone can help me,
I am designing a system comprising the following (RFID system(13.56Mhz) - TFT LCD (alike to the one in smartwatch))
The antenna used in the RFID system is inductive loop antenna,

if i put the antenna as in the assembly shown in the image attached,
Will this affect the performance of the antenna, or the LCD in a negative manner,

Thanks in advance,
Ahmed Tarek

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5dc269fe-424e-4684-983e-8de2ad705c64&file=lcd_n_antenna.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll post your image inline.

17065_frqpkq.jpg

Image provides no info, except arrangement.

One could retune the antenna, if it's even resonant to begin with. Adjust the parallel capacitor if applicable.

EMI on circuits could be modelled, or just take some commonsense E3 precautions and build a rough prototype. Try it.

One could also use the embedded software to blank the display when transmitting, and vice versa.

Is RFID power really low?

I understood that the excitation to power-up the passive RFID tags was a significant challenge. The limiting factor for range.

If there's enough to power-up the RFID tag, then there's certainly enough RF to generate noticeable voltages on unprotected circuitry in the middle of the coil.

Just asking, curious. :)

That's surprisingly (to me) low. I had assumed that higher powers were required to illuminate a passive RFID tag.

Another ref: The specs for the TI TRF7960A state "Programmable Output Power: +20 dBm (100 mW) or +23 dBm (200 mW)".

That's close enough that your "around 10dBm" statement is perfectly correct. Thank you for adjusting my assumptions.

Yes, that is a fairly low power. So addressing the EMI risks or issues should be quite easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back