Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antenna dBi issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozaiobee

Electrical
Aug 10, 2010
US
Hi, it's my first time on the website.

I know how an isotropic antenna works. I work in the certification business and I keep seeing 0 dBi gain antennas. (Whip, Beamwidth 360 horizontal and 45 vertical.) Is this possible? I thought it was:
Beamwidth:
H, 360
V, 90
Gain = 3 dBi

Beamwidth:
H, 360
V, 360
Gain = 0 dBi

Please help, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks right,
for an omni antenna like a perfect dipole, the gain formula is 112/Beamwidth (-3 dB rolloff angle in degrees).

There are many simple formulas out there for gain based on the angle in degrees at the -3 dB rolloff in power (relative to peak).

dBi is decibels relative to isotropic.
bel = Alexander Graham Bell who first plotted in log base 10.
deci is 10xlogbase10(power), seems other scientists thought multiplying by 10 was easier to read.

Common alternate units for dB() are;
dBiC (C=circuilar polarization),
dBiL (L=linear polarization),
dBiD (D=dipole, which has 2.1 dBi gain, so if you have 5 dBiD gain, it's actually 5+2.1=7.1 dBi or dBiL gain).

dBi really needs something else added to it for completeness, either the word linear, circular(Right hand or left hand) or dBiD (which is always linear).

I'm guessing that those formulas actually calculate directivity, where

gain = (antenna efficiency) * (directivity)

For instance, if based on beamwidth, you expect an antenna to have 3 dBi of directivity, but the manufacturer advertises the gain to be 0 dBi, that would imply the antenna efficiency is 50%.

Peter

As Peter wrote, loss is the simplest explanation for the apparent anomaly in the 0 dBi gain and non-spherical coverage pattern beamwidth figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back