Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Antenna Design Book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvargo

Electrical
Feb 11, 2009
US
Our company designs wearable computers that connect to a WiFi network. We mainly use PCB traces for the antenna (inverted F's).

Up to now, we have been outsourcing the antenna design. We now want to do the designs in house. Does anybody have a recommendation of a book for designing PCB antennas? I guess ideally we'd like one that is a little more practical (so one that minimizes the math).

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Designing the antennas requires a good software package ($50K). i.e. HFSS, CST or IE3D.

Look on Amazon.com for books.

Pozar is the best for Patch antennas.

Gupta is good too.

You'll want to buy many books that specialize, not just one or two.

kch

Hello

try finding the book "Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook" by Ramesh Garg. It is a good book and will give a good idea about how to design a patch antenna.

Raza

First, the decision to start designing embedded antennas in house is mainly one of cost. Contrary to common belief, EM simulation software, although helpful and insightful, requires an experienced user to benefit from it and is not absolutely mandatory, especially for the relatively simple planar PIFAs you describe. However, as you are aware, specific knowledge of how to design antennas and then how to successfully integrate them is mandatory.
On the question of cost, a dedicated employee can cost $100k + per year, especially when you consider benefits. If you are having a current employee take over the responsibility, then learning antenna design will take away from his/her normal responsibilities. It is not a straight forward science to most engineers that don't have previous experience.
Most small to medium sized companies I work with find outsourcing their antenna designs much less expensive as well as seamless to their product development activities. Taking on the antenna design may inhibit the smooth flow of your development, especially if problems arise late in the process.
To answer your question: 1) Planar Antennas for Wireless Communications" by Kin-Lu Wong (editor), Wiley & Sons 2003 is a very good book with lots of dimensioned drawings and results, 2) Can't beat Antenna Engineering Handbook (in its third edition now), by Richard C. Johnson, McGraw Hill 1993 for general antenna knowledge 3) The ARRL handbook is another good source for general antenna knowledge. Mine isn't handy just now or I would supply details. Just search for it on the Internet and it will take you to the ARRL site.
Good luck. If you need any help let me know -- I can do training as well as design.
an10a@cia-aa.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back