Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti--burst reo location tolerance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomfh

Structural
Feb 27, 2005
AU
Hi,

I was looking at a stressed slab today. I noticed the anti-burst helices were tied hard against the tendons.

See this image for the type of construction practice I am talking about.

From a theoretical strut and tie perspective this wouldn't work as well, but I'm not a PT guy, and I wasn't there to sign off on it.

I commented on it to the PT foreman, but his attitude was along the lines of "this is how we do it".

Is it standard practice? Does it work ok?

Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The spiral anchorage reo should be centrally placed about the centre of the tendon group, and usually this requires an extra straight bar, or two, tied through the spiral and fixed to the strand to offset it so it is central, OR, in your case, tie off to the transverse beam cage.

AND, your photo does not show any plastic/steel 'onion' spacer plates at the 'bulb' ends. These are required to ensure that the strand ends are not displaced during concreting etc.

Yes I know it's not ideal, and that there's no spacer plate. The spacing appears to be achieved by tying directly to the helix.

I'm just curious how wide spread this practice is, and to what degree it's considered acceptable at large. Clearly these guys have been getting away with it, and their engineers are apparantly ok with it.

The photo I linked to isn't my photo, it's just a photo I found online illustrating what I meant. I found other photos online too, showing similar thing, so clearly this practice is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back