Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-tie down required for air cylinder presses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgyvr

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2006
US
Are two-hand "anti-tie down" controls required for simple mead/bimba type air cylinder (3" to 6" cylinder diameters @ 100psi) presses in the US (OSHA)?
Right now we have a few simple staking machines from 20+ years ago that do have 2 hand controls but each of the buttons "could" be tied/taped down.
And if so do you know the specific section of OSHA that calls that out specifically for air cylinder presses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OSHA's philosiphy on safe guarding equipment and/or presses is spelled out in:

If you review the PDF document you will discover that OSHA recognizes the valuable contributions of national consensus standards such as "ANSI B11.19-2010 Performance Requirements for Safeguarding" and "ANSI B11.TR3-2000 Risk Assessment and Risk Reduction".

Sorry but there is no easy answer or short cut to your question but what would resolve it is doing the risk assessment and based on that the required safe guarding necessary to make the press safe.

David Baird
Sr Controls Designer
EET degree.

That's what I was afraid of.
How in the risk assessment do evaluate the "laziness" or "stupidity" of your operators? ;)

You need to add guarding to the press so that the operator cannot put hands/fingers/body part into the pinch point. A simple hand push shuttle table going into the pinch point with plexiglass shields so the operator can view the operation should work fine. Then the dual palm buttons become unnecessary. Of course money will have to be spent.

Your comment about laziness and stupidity concerns me. Safety should be your first concern. Your operators may even have some good suggestions of how to solve this issue. Lazy and stupid operators are doing exactly what management allows to happen. Anybody taping dual palm buttons down should have been seen by the direct supervisor and then been written up.

Safety IS my first concern.
My [wink] smiley just didn't show up.. I'm a silly joker 99% of the time even when I shouldn't be.. Happy life and all.

Any operator defeating the dual button setup WILL be dealt with immediately.

I just keep seeing "anti-tie down" mentioned in all the standards/air press catalogs,etc... and couldn't find in the OSHA manual whether they were mandated or not for a simple air press or if regular dual buttons is still OK if that's all it takes to ensure safety.. I have NO problem including them IF they are needed.

I was really just expecting it to be mandated and couldn't find where it was...

Your foremen should be the ones to enforce the safety regulations and allow two written warnings for tieing down or tapping the two hand controls and on the third offence, you would have reason to dismiss the employee from working at the plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back