Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti vortex device at tank outlet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamoon85

Aerospace
Aug 19, 2015
PK
with reference to the above thread. I want to dicuss some things about vortex breaker device installed at the outlet. I want to add this device on outlet of a tank which is 200mm. I wanted to know that is there a thumb rule for device height; while device vanes are usually mentioned as 2/3 of the outlet diameter, how much should be the height of the vanes (or baffles)? The mass flow rate through this drain is 130 kg/s and the density is 780 kg/m3. Based on the formula (S = D +2.3 D Fr), this gives the submereged depth of 1.9 m. The tank height is 5 m. Isnt it too much height for a vortex device compared to tank height?

Please help

Shamoon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Disc type. The disc type (Figure 4) acts as a baffle plate that impedes axial flow without interfering with ​radial flow. It is typically designed to be three times the diameter of the outlet nozzle and mounted approximately 1 in. (25 mm) above the nozzle."

Link

What "above thread" ??

Also your exit nozzle is very small. I've calculated this at about 5m/sec. That's very high for an exit nozzle.

It's too fast really.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Figure 4 is the very first figure on the linked page and is mentioned in the first sentence on the first paragraph of the linked page.

Vortex breakers can be the vane type, the disc type, slotted pipe collector type. The ExxonMobil Basic Design practices provide detailed guidance on the configuration and design of these, but sadly, these docs are proprietory to EM. When you are in a tough spot, use the slotted type; from memory, it has the lowest submergence depth requirement.

I usually work on the open area under the cap being at least 1.5 and preferably 2 x the area of the outlet pipe.

I think the hydraulic institute have some good guidance.

Looks like you need a DN400 exit nozzle, not DN200, to keep exit velocity at 1m/sec approx. Install a DN400 internal slotted pipe collector, made out of corrosion resistant material, going through the vertical axis of the tank, with collector length to cover say 70% of tank dia. Cut half slots (with each slot say 50mm or 80mm wide) at equal distances along the internal collector, with total open area of slots > cross sectional area of a DN400 pipe (ie 0.13m2). Slots to face the sidewalls of the tank. My calcs say 6 such slots will do. Cap off the far end of the collector. With this, I'd say a submergence depth of 150-200mm above the top of the collector pipe will more than suffice.

Ok, with regard to the size of the tank, if I have to increase the size of the tank by twice, is there any rule or law to scale the vortex breaker too. Smaller one has exit dia 110 mm while larger one has exit dia of 200mm.

Vortex breaker size is mainly dependent on pipe size, not tank size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back