Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anticorrosion Coating for bends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mboundi

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2008
IT
Hi,
I have to select an anticorrosion coating for the bends of a 16" offshore pipeline with a design temperature of 35°C. Ambient temperature is 15°C. Design life 50 years.

Designer propose a polyurethane coating system (airlees spray applied) with 5 mm of thickness.
Wath is the best choice between polyurethane coating and epoxy coating?

Is this thickness acceptable?

Thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With epoxy, especially offshore, you might want a poly coating on top for mechanical strength anyway.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

OK BigInch.

But I have some doubt about the thickness of coating (5 mm).
Data sheet of materials that I encountered in the past gave a maximum thk of 3 mm.

Thx for support!

5 mm is not a problem. Perhaps the 3 mm was just a thickness to be applied, not a maximum.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Yes, even not having experience with that product, I would tend agree with that, especially noting where he says the thickness of the abrasion resistant FBE (no additional mechanical protection coating) is 150 mm.
5 mm no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back