Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antistatic Test at 100V on Ball Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momark

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2021
IT
Good morning,
can someone help us about how to perform Antistatic Test at 100 V d.c. on Ball Valves? Normally, this test is performed using a power source not exceeding 12 V d.c. but in this case the power source is to be 100 V d.c.
Alternatively, our client asks to perform the same test on a test sample. How to perform this test also in a safe condition?
Many Thanks in advance for your prompt reply.

Marco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The requirement seems wrong. Normal requirement is check that a valve to has static grounding between the body, stem, and ball. Thus only 12 Vdc is used.

100 Vdc test is normally done for shoes and other type of insulation to prove it does not conduct static electricity. I cannot think for any reason why someone would want to check that there cannot be any electrical flow path between a ball, stem, and body. There are pretty tight metal-to-metal clearances in the assembly where arcs will most likely occur.

The requirement just does not make sense.

I think I figured this out. Do you have a PFA or FEP lined ball valve? If so, the 100 VDC test is done to check for pin holes, cracks, or porosity in the lining material. Its called a spark test. Refer to standard ISO 19240. If it is not a lined valve, then the 100 VDC test does not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back