Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any advice on retaining walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsianEngineer

Structural
Jun 15, 2006
US
i have a residential client that has a one story rambler with a daylight basement(sort of). The problem is he has a work area underneath the garage. The work area is only 7ft tall, has retaining walls on three sides with a structural slab above. What he wants to do is dig down and install another retaining wall. he wants the room to be at least 8 or 9 ft tall. Is this possible? The problem I'm running into is how to support the existing retaining walls so that we don't affect the structural integrity of the home.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scenario 1 : The floor is independant of the walls ; In this case you can just rip the old floor out, dig down another 18 inches (upto top of wall footing), and cast a new floor.

Scenario 2 : The floor is either integral with or acts as a strut for the base of the walls ; in this case, you may be able to do it in sections, digging out and casting U-sections of slab + wall extension as you go along. I wouldn't leave more than 1/4 unsupported at a time, i.e. do in 4 alternate sections. (Dont park the car in the garage during this time !)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back