Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Electrical MEP Consulting Engineers out there? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvsubstation

Electrical
Aug 5, 2003
US
I'm curious if there are any electrical engineers who work for MEP firms, just to see what your experience has been (want to see if its worth it to stay in this area). I have worked for MEP firms for about 4 years and had 3 jobs. I've found that these positions are more politcal than anything else, i.e. you have to kiss a lot of a@## to get the challenging work, and you don't always get a wide array of different work, because no one wants to train you too well, for fear that you may take their job one day, as MEP work is quite cylical. My first job I didn't get to do much at all, I guess because I was there for only two years, and I believe because it was such a large company, it took longer to find your niche (easy to get lost in the shuffle). My second job was the worst, as my boss's boss was a complete a-hole, I never talked to him or kissed his a%%@, so guess who got laid off first when the econmy tanked? My current job has been the best, it's a smaller company so I've gotten much more responsiblity than the previous two and much more intersting work, but it is VERY politcal. I found out quickly the only way to advance is to kiss a@#$# and to back stab all your co-workers (make them look as bad as possible to your boss). Are there any GOOD MEP firms out there to work for? Please let me know your experience.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe these other people aren't kissing a$$, maybe they are just demonstrating that they can work well and communicate with others.
After demonstrating this ability it should be no surprise that they get the challenging work.

Do you think that maybe your being on non-speaking terms with your boss's boss had anything to do with you being laid off??

I'm not saying this as a smart alec, just as a reality check.

Also, its political everywhere. Butt kissing isn't necessary but I notice it three times in your post.

I too was curious and did a web search for MEP and engineer. MEP appears to be an acronym for Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing engineering as pertains to the design, construction and maintenance of office buildings, etc.

John

Do you mean the Department of Defense Mobile Electric Power program? If so let me know. Perhaps your experience of a "political culture" at work is a reflection of your customer, the MEP organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back