Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any good piping websites out there?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack88

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2001
CA
Hello, I am a ME student on my first coop term. I have been assigned the task of replacing an old filter with a more modern type and to redesign the corresponding piping around it.
Seeing as how I am a little green about this subject, I was wondering if any of you guys out there know of any good sites I could go to or any good books that would give me somewhat of an ABCs of piping to get started.

Thanks in adv,
Jack88

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"The Piping Handbook" edited by Nayar. Grinnell's "Piping Design & Engineering". Crane's "Technical Paper No. 410 Flow of Fluids". The Grinnell book covers a lot concerning codes and ratings, while Crane is more focused on sizing for proper performance. The Piping Handbook has a section on just about any kind of piping you can imagine. If I was only allowed to have one book on piping, Nayar's would likely be it.

A lot depends on what kind of piping you're looking at. Process line? Compressed air? Hydraulic oil? Fuel? Almost every type of application has some kind of code or standard that covers it. Finding the applicable code, and seeing what it says about your project is never the wrong place to start.

Don't forget to leave room for the mechanic to drain the filter can and replace the filter element.

If the process runs all the time, you may need 2 filters and 3-way valving to allow 1 filter in use and 1 filter on cleaning/standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back