Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any idea how to manufacture something similar to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

subsearobot

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2007
US
Hi All!
I'm investigating a component that I've found in attempting to learn how to make something similar.

please see the image-
it's a brass push-rod. The larger diameter is about .10", the flange is ~.19" and the slender rod is ~.08" diameter. Please note the neck diameter reduction as it approaches the flange (both sides of flange), and the different surface finish in that area. There is also a small radius at the interface.

This part would have a relatively tight runout specification. for reference, overall, it is about 5" long.
Production-wise, I would guess this item would be about ~200k units per year, which may limit some production methods. My part production will see about 100k units/year.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=61773def-c224-4fd7-84aa-f2bfca18e2d7&file=IMG_0175.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solid rod? Lathe turn it between centers and possibly with support (steady rest), though at low speed I could do the part without support.

Looked like a bead-rolled tube end to me at first though, which is a different process.

Your sample appears that it could be cold upset from stock with a light finish cut on the face and your necked diameter, with the 2 main diameters centerless ground.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Yes, solid rod which shows material is uniform througout. The ends do not show signs of turning on centers, but could be steady rest. I don't see any tool marks, but my friend suggested a vibratory polish may have removed them.

Someone else just suggested a screw machine followed by a vibratory polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back