Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Any requitement for lethal service in Division 2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldisgold981

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2021
SA
I was going through ASME section viii div2. I was looking for information about lethal service in div2 but i couldn't find anything there. As in division 1 it is explicitly mentioned in UW-2(a) what is meant by lethal service. Is there any information/requirement about lethal service in division 2?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To all of the terminally lazy newbies, who are either too confused (or too lazy) to bother touse GOOGLE:

Here at eng-tips, we have been down this ASME "lethal service" dark alley many times before ...!!! ... It is ugly ..!!!

The tormenters who write the ASME VIII Code happily warn about the term "lethal service" ... but these arrogant overlords prance away when any reasonable question is asked about the definition of lethal !!! ... How convienient !!

They do not bother to realize (or even care) that the real world has a confused twenty something STEM graduate (the client) asking another twenty-something fellow (the engineer of record)if his particular vessel is "lethal"

Neither know .... and neither have any way of finding out .... The MBA boss of the EOR then DEMANDS a list of all lethal subsatnces used, on his desk by Tuesday. The MBA then prances off !!!! ...... The EOR must now look for another job ...

IMHO, this situation is still an open and festering sore in the Engineering community that will never be resolved ...

and .... best of all !!!

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

ASME VIII div 1
ENDNOTES
42 By “lethal substances” are meant poisonous gases or liquids of such a nature that a very small amount of the gas or of the vapor of the liquid mixed or unmixed with air is dangerous to life when inhaled. For purposes of this Division, this class includes substances of this nature which are stored under pressure or may generate a pressure if stored in a closed vessel.

ASME VIII Div 2: LETHAL not mentioned

ASME VIII Div 3: LETHAL is mentioned

Obviously (for me) when working with Div 2 and Div 3 LETHAL must be the same requirement as Div1

Regards

MJCronin - the writers of the ASME Code are all volunteers. If you really want change in this regard, get involved and be the change you seek.

Beyond the quote above the definition of lethal service is most often dictated by the end users risk assessment.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back